Sunday, January 10, 2016

I quit lamenting. A long time ago.

Believe me. I’m thankful. That I’m a fan of the hapless Chicago Bears. And not the more successful playoff  bound Minnesota Vikings. At least, the Bears give me no reason to be heartbroken. They aren’t even in the playoffs. Having finished in last place in their division. As for the Vikings, on Sunday, they appeared headed for the second round of the playoffs. Holding a dominating 9-0 lead over the Seattle Seahawks. As the game was winding down in the fourth quarter. Lo and behold, the Seahawks rallied. With the help of two fluke plays and Vikings miscues. The Seahawks forged ahead, 10-9. But with less than a minute to play. The inspired, never-say-die Vikings moved into a position to win the game. All it would take was a 27-yard field goal. An almost 'can’t-miss' kick. After all. Consider that during the regular season, NFL teams tried 266 field goals from distances of 30 yards or less. And missed only five times. So Vikings fans were jumping and shouting joyously. Anticipating that their beloved Vikings were about to pull one out. In thrilling, dramatic fashion. But alas. It was heartbreak time in Minnesota. The kicker missed. Blew the easy kick. And the Vikings blew a game they should have won. And there I was. Appreciating that I was blessed.  By being a Bears fan. Not having to endure. The heartbreaking loss of a playoff game. After all, the Bears haven’t been in the playoffs. For a long, long time. Meanwhile, dear Vikings fans, I feel your pain. You have my condolences. My recommendation, too. Put the loss in perspective. It’s only a mere football game. Rather meaningless in the grand scheme of life. Furthermore, you have a consolation. On the way to the playoffs, your beloved Vikings beat my beloved Chicago Bears twice.  Something for you to savor. And for me to lament. Except that I quit lamenting. A long time ago. My heart can't be broken any more. --Jim Broede

No comments: