Sunday, February 28, 2016

Whether she likes it or not.

The power of persuasion. I like to use it. To convince my sick friends. To get well. That especially goes for those with mental illness. I’m often told. That it’s best to listen to the mentally ill. Get them to talk. Openly. About their mental problems and hang-ups.  But I want to do more than listen.  I want to intercede. To be a friendly psychotherapist. That recommends concrete solutions. And coaxes.  The mentally disturbed. In a persuasive manner.  To seek the necessary help. Unfortunately, many are in no shape to recognize their need for help. Indeed, that’s sad. Especially so when their friends fail to come to the rescue. Little wonder. That I have no qualms about forcing the likes of my depressed alcoholic friend Julie into extended treatment.  Whether she likes it or not. --Jim Broede

No comments: