Monday, May 9, 2016

Give me everything.

I have an  embarrassment. Of riches. Too much of a good thing. And I have a craving. For more and more and more. Maybe I’m reaching the point. Where good becomes bad.  It’s like eating too much. Imbibing becomes gluttony. Or drinking too much. And one becomes an alcoholic. No, I don’t have an eating or drinking disorder. Instead, it’s that I can’t stand to see my Chicago Cubs lose another ball game. I’m spoiled. I’m addicted. To winning. The Cubs have won seven straight games. Against the next best teams in the National League. The Pittsburgh Pirates. The Washington Nationals. The Cubs have become used to sweeping series. To playing superb baseball. With the mentality of taking no prisoners. The Cubs have won 24 of their first 30 games this season. Yes, that adds up to a record of 24-6. Once upon a time. It was more likely. That the Cubs got off to a 6-24 start. A few years back, they lost their first 14 games. Now the Cubs are the best team in baseball. Phenomenal. Incredible. Yes, there they are. Winning games. By astounding margins. And here I am. Fretting. Sitting on pins and needles. Terrified. That the Cubs might finally lose another game. That would be hard to take. I might grieve. Go into depression. And fume. Because the Cubs should have won the game. I’ll dwell on the what ifs. The missed opportunities. I’ve become similar to the millionaire. Who  always wants more riches. Never has enough. Wants to be a billionaire. Craves all of the world’s wealth. Yes, I have an insatiable appetite. For the Cubs. To go all the way. To the World Series. And beyond. I want absolutely everything. Out of life. I’ll settle for nothing less. And I want the same for the Chicago Cubs. --Jim Broede

No comments: