Thursday, May 5, 2016

Is there a need to know?

I’ve just awakened. From an unsettling dream. I’m lost. In the middle of nowhere. I’m driving. A vehicle. On unpaved roads. Going cross country. Across hills and valleys. Beautiful country. But sort of desolate. There are no trees. Everything seems hazy. I encounter people. A  manufacturing site. With huge stacks of metal fences. I climb a stack.  And near the top. I see workers. And I call to them. And inquire. How do I get to where I am going?. And the answers are vague. So I return to my vehicle. And  drive away. Aimlessly. Thinking that maybe I’ll find a city. A town. Where I can get a road map. To pinpoint where I am. And to where I am going. I want to find my way. But I’m not sure where I’m supposed to go. But I have a sense. That I want to return. To wherever I came from.  Everything seems so mystical. Now that I’m awake. I wonder. Why I had to return. I am uneasy. Uncomfortable.  I am pondering my dream. I don’t want to go back to sleep. Because I don’t want to return to my dream. It wasn’t a nightmare. It qualifies as a dream. But still. I am uneasy. Because I feel sense of loss. I don’t like the feeling. There are more details. That I’m trying to recall. But it all seems so elusive.  So vague. Makes me think. That I’m thinking too much. There’s no need. To know everything.  No need to know. Where I am.  Or where I am going. Strange. Strange. Strange. I wonder. If it’s really necessary to find meaning. Perhaps one can live. Happily. Without meaning.  --Jim Broede

No comments: