Thursday, May 19, 2016

Short of passionate.

I try to live passionately. But only on a part-time basis. Because one can’t be passionate all the time. That’s impossible. It would be too emotionally exhausting. Risking collapse. From fatigue.  Better to cool it. And to limit one’s self to being passionate. When the situation calls for it. When I earned my living. By being a writer. I became passionate. About some stuff. But I couldn’t maintain the passion day after day. Too often, we expect people around us to be passionate. In their pursuits. Like I do. With my favorite baseball team, the Chicago Cubs.  I want the Cubs to play every game. At a very high passion level.  To play to win.  With a take-no-prisoners attitude.  Yes, to play with unbounded passion. But to be honest. That’s asking for  too much. Really. It should be good enough. To merely give a decent effort. Short of passionate. --Jim Broede

No comments: