Sunday, July 10, 2016

The worst possible sin.

Yes, I castigate Julie. Not for having a drinking problem. But for lying about it. Yes, Julie is a liar. I don’t like liars. Yes, that’s why I sometimes dislike myself. Because I’ve been known to tell a lie or two or more. Sometimes I lie. Merely for kicks. Just for the heck of it.  Often just to be funny. But I forgive myself. Except when I lie to myself. That’s the worst kind of lie. And that’s the kind of lie that Julie practices. Each and every day. For a long, long time. Julie lies to other people, too. To me. Virtually every day. I’m used to Julie’s lies. I’d be surprised. Flabbergasted. If Julie went a day. Even trying to tell the truth. Going one day without a single lie. Living an honest life. Facing the truth. I remind Julie. Often. That she’s a big-time liar. I don’t even bother telling her any more that she’s an addict. An alcoholic.   And that she’s ruining her life. That’s a relatively small sin.  The worst possible sin. Is to lie to one’s self. --Jim

No comments: