Saturday, August 27, 2016

Off we go. With a sigh of relief.

I waited and waited and waited. To be let into Canada. Along with my Italian amore. We sat there. In the customs office. In Fort Francis. In Ontario.  We wondered why. I asked the woman seated next to us if she had a clue. She didn’t. Or was she playing dumb? Turns out her companion was off being interrogated. He  returned, and whispered, that he was being denied entry into Canada. Because of an unpaid parking ticket. Years ago. In Chicago. He had to make restitution. Or be returned to the U.S. Made me wonder if I had an unpaid parking ticket. At least I knew. That I wasn’t a terrorist. Anyway, I finally ambled up to a counter and asked a uniformed clerk. Why do we have to wait so long for clearance? “Oh’ she said, “we didn’t notice that you had come in.  She quickly summoned a customs officer. Who apologized for the delay. Five minutes later. Off we went. Toward Kenora and Lake of the Woods. With a sigh of relief. Thankful. That I don’t have any unpaid parking tickets  --Jim Broede

No comments: