Monday, September 12, 2016

After all, it is Julie's life.

I’m feeling my way When it comes to determining how to act around my alcoholic friend Julie. Don’t know if there’s a solidly right way or a solidly wrong way. Generally, I’m looking for a way that works. That’s effective. That gets Julie the help she needs. Without alienating Julie. But I’m finding that nearly impossible. Some folks tell me just be Julie’s friend. Tell her that you love her. Just let her be. That she has to decide. From within. To get all necessary help. Don’t be too critical. Allow Julie to proceed at her own pace. Don’t be a watchdog. But that’s what I am, according to Julie. She tells me I’m detestable. For that very thing. That see senses I’m keeping a watchful eye on her. All the time. Especially when we go shopping together. That she’s under constant surveillance. Though she isn’t.  But that’s the way Julie feels. I think she’s paranoid about it. Julie says she brings the topic up. At her group therapy sessions. With other addicts. They encourage her, she says, to avoid me. If she doesn’t trust me anymore. For not showing blind faith in her. Maybe they are right. Maybe they are wrong. I don’t know. Other than I’m ready to live by Julie’s decision. After all, it is Julie’s life. Maybe I have no right to interfere. --Jim Broede

No comments: