Thursday, September 8, 2016

Only so much to go around.

I don’t even try to be compassionate and understanding of everyone. Because that’s an impossible task.  Instead, I focus on a select few. People around me. In dire need of compassion and understanding. If I spread myself thin, trying to do too much, it would drain me of vital physical, mental and emotional energy. I’d not be taking care of myself. I have limits. Which require me to give priority to those closest and dearest. Seldom my blood relatives. My brother, my sister and I went our separate ways. We maintained sparse contact over the years. I even wrote off my sister for a while. When she was a drunk. We’re closer now. Because she’s sober.  But when she was drinking, I wanted no part of her. Partly, for my sake. I had to take care of myself. So that I could care for other more important people in my life. My true loves. My most intimate friends. Yes, I have only so much compassion and understanding to go around. --Jim Broede

No comments: