Wednesday, October 19, 2016

I don't need everything.

Is there anything for which I would willingly surrender my life? Believe me. I have lots of wishes. But to make them happen --  well, don’t ask me to sacrifice myself. My life is more precious than mostly absurd and trivial wishes. For instance, I fervently wish for the Chicago Cubs to win the World Series this year. And for Donald Trump to overwhelmingly lose the presidential election.  If an all-powerful wish-granter came to me and announced, ‘Your wishes will come true. But only if you are willing to pay a price. Your life.’  I would reply, ‘Forget it.’ Better to continue living for a few more years.  Coping with life’s many disappointments. After all, there’s so much good stuff mixed in. I don’t need everything. --Jim Broede

No comments: