Sunday, October 2, 2016

Really, that ain't bad.

I’m an avid, diehard Chicago Cubs fan. Liking nothing better than to have the Cubs win the World Series. This year. For the first time since 1908. Yet I have vowed not to watch a single Cubs game during the play-offs. Which begin Friday. Why will I abstain?  For good reason. I am too emotionally involved. As a Cubs fan. I’d become a nervous wreck. Begging. The baseball gods. To let the Cubs win. So that I could be happy and joyous. Instead, I have chosen to wait patiently. Until the games are safely over. To check the scores. And only then, get the details. To be savored. Only if the Cubs win.  I’ll not bother myself with the gory details. If the Cubs happen to lose. And then I will still find a way to be happy. By brainwashing myself. Into believing. With all my heart. That it really wasn’t a bad season. Because the Cubs won over 100 games during the regular season. Before the playoffs. Really, that ain’t bad. --Jim Broede

No comments: