Friday, November 25, 2016

My confession.

I confess. To doing some pretty mean stuff. In my high school  and college days. Because I was a natural born satirist. Writing stuff that poked fun at my classmates and teachers and just about anyone in sight.  I often received support from my teachers. In junior high school, for instance, my English teacher had me read my satirical stories aloud. To the entire class.  Students rolled in the aisles. In laughter. I became popular. Which boosted my ego. Maybe some students didn’t laugh. Because they were the butts of my satire.  But the ones with keen senses of humor learned to laugh at themselves. Maybe, at times, my humor verged on cruelty. For which I am now sorry. And beg forgiveness. At the time, I didn’t know any better. That’s the danger of being a youth. Of course, some of us never grow up. Have to wonder if that includes me. --Jim Broede

No comments: