Saturday, December 17, 2016

A happy fool, am I.

I  have a choice. In picking and choosing the stuff that bothers me. Today, it is snowing.  It doesn’t bother me. I enjoy the wintry scene.  The snow. Even when I’m out shoveling the drive way. It’s good exercise. Exactly what I need. Yes, I’m feeling good. About life. On another day, I may lament. Over the outcome of the presidential election. But I also can choose not to lament. To instead, focus on something that makes me happy. My friend, meanwhile, may choose to feel bad about herself. Humiliated. Over a remark made about her on Facebook. That’s not a very good feeling.  However, that’s her choice. But I, as a friend, tell her how wonderful she is. That gives her the option of feeling wonderful. But she has to take the bait. And actually feel wonderful. I can’t compel her. She has to compel herself. Fortunately, I’ve mastered the art of channeling myself into positive thinking.  Oh, it feels so good. So wonderful. To be alive. And in love. With life. Sure, maybe I’m fooling myself some days. But what the heck? Doesn’t matter. A happy fool, am I. --Jim Broede

No comments: