Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Please, give me the facts.

Facts don’t matter anymore. People believe what they want to believe. All sorts of weird fiction.  As the gospel truth. Wish it weren’t so. Especially in the realm of politics. Truth was never essential to be a successful politician. Liars. Liars. With their pants on fire. Have learned to captivate their audience. And to win votes in the process. Donald Trump can get away with not a single word of truth.  He can babble. Preposterous stuff. And then vilify honest people. For being the liars. Trump gets away with it. And he knows he can. Trump quips that he could go out on  Fifth Avenue and shoot someone. And get away with it. Because people are in the mood to let anything go. There is no truth anymore. Because we are being fed truth through a kaleidoscope. Ever-changing images. News media and social media are constantly bombarding us with 1,000 versions of truth. All embellished. To confuse us. To distort the actual truth. Because that’s the entertaining thing to do.  What am I to do? In my search for the elusive  truth. Well, for now, I pick up the New York Times. And tell myself that this is the way life used to be. A reasonable semblance of objectivity. Of truth.  Something that I’ve always coveted. But has become harder and harder to find. Please. Please. Give me the facts. That’s all I want. Opinions aren’t necessary.  --Jim Broede

No comments: