Saturday, February 11, 2017

Also known as respect.

I love freedom. And ideas. And tolerance. Always have. Maybe that’s what makes me what I am. A fellow that finds ways to get along. With almost anyone. Even the worst kind of politicians. Because I bend over backwards to listen. And to be tolerant and respectful. That’s all I ask in return. Let’s talk. And truly listen to each other.  About politics. About religion. About economic and social matters. And about life, in general. Even if we differ, let’s try to be friends. Is that asking too much? Turns out. That people with widely different views on life can co-exist. And live with each other. By practicing tolerance. Yes, people are different. And that’s a blessing. Personally, it would be scary living only with those that agree with me. That’s the fastest and surest way to become an ignoramus. I’m open to new ideas. To different points of view.  Especially when my friends, associates and total strangers come into the discussion  acknowledging that they don’t know everything about everything. I’m the first to admit. That I have a lot to learn. That I’m not the smartest kid on the block. Actually, I don’t know if I’ve ever met the smartest. We’re all in the same proverbial boat.  Fishing for answers. For ways to live life decently and happily. To the fullest. Seems to me, that usually happens. When we grant each other. A high degree of freedom. And tolerance.  Also known as respect. --Jim Broede

No comments: