Tuesday, June 6, 2017

All I need.

I have far too much stuff. It’s one of my weaknesses. Maybe one of my sins. I’ve allowed myself to collect. Too many clothes, too many books, too many CDs, too many knick-knacks. Stuff tucked away. Neatly. Clothes on hangars. Or folded in dresser drawers. Collecting is an addiction. For a while, I collected bird houses. Because it made me feel good. Seeing all those bird  houses. Hanging from hundreds of trees. Finally. Finally. I’ve made a decision. To get rid of stuff. Boxes and boxes. Off to the thrift stores. And to the organizations. That pick up stuff. At the curbside. For their money-raising events. Makes me think I’m giving to a good cause. But my real motive. Is to get rid of stuff. That I never needed. Material possessions. All I need. Are the bare essentials. Not least, a little bit of love. And the knowledge that I’m an alive and conscious being. Yes. Yes. That’s all I need. --Jim Broede

No comments: