Thursday, July 13, 2017

Blessed. Believe it or not.

Being an Alzheimer care-giver. For 13 years. Was an excruciating experience. Initially.  But given time. It became a satisfying, and even joyful phase of my life. I’m a more empathetic human being for having gone through it. No regrets. I finished my care-giver stint in an upbeat frame of mind. Having discovered the benefits of good vibes therapy. Having learned to emit good vibes in the presence of dear Jeanne. Always. No matter the circumstances. Jeanne responded positively. Even in the late stages of Alzheimer’s. Unfortunately, I observed (at nursing homes) too many care-givers, even some professionals, that inadvertently may have done more harm than good. With bad vibes. With ornery dispositions.  That would have been me. Early on. Until I fell in love. With being a care-giver. Really, it was no longer a job. It was a pastime. To be savored. Cherished. I would never have believed it. If not for the experience. I became enlightened. Yes, I was blessed by the Alzheimer’s experience. Believe it or not. --Jim Broede

No comments: