Tuesday, October 30, 2018

They aren't my friends.


Being a care-giver. Forced my hand. Made me seriously consider. Retiring much earlier than I had originally anticipated. Of course, as you all know. Being a fulltime Alzheimer care-giver. Isn’t exactly retirement. Instead, it’s another pursuit. But if one does it for love. Care-giving can become tolerable. It’s not the end of the world. And when it’s all over. One can truly step into retirement. Which I did. And yes, adjusting was relatively easy. Or at least that’s my perspective. Some 21 years later. I’ve gotten on with life. As a true blue retiree. Believe me. It hasn’t been all that bad. In an odd sense, the Alzheimer’s experience, was a blessing in disguise.  Having learned to roll with the proverbial punches. I’ve come out ahead.  With no solid reason to complain. About life. Some people tell me. That I should complain. That I’ve come up short. But they aren’t my friends. --Jim Broede

No comments: