Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Almost beyond belief.


Amazing. That Marcello is never at a loss for words. Here he is. A full-fledged cat. And instead of the usual meow. He’s different. He speaks English.  Marcello tells me he learned English and several other languages. Including Russian. From a speaking parrot. I almost fell over. In disbelief. When I brought Marcello home. From a shelter. When he was still a three-month old kitten. He thanked me. For rescuing him. I never knew that a cat could talk.  Marcello tells me he’s one of a kind. That he doesn’t know of any other talking cats. Yes. Yes. He’s a very rare breed. He refuses to talk to anyone but me.  Because he doesn’t want to show off.  Yes. He’s modest. To some degree. Doesn’t want to become famous. Prefers living pretty much as a recluse cat. Admits that he doesn’t understad much about human nature. And the less he knows. All the better. ‘Frankly, human nature scares me,’ Marcello confided. I told Marcello that I understand. That cats think more sensibly than humans. They’re smarter, too. Little wonder. That I’ve asked Marcello to tutor me. In the ways of a cat. Isn’t life interesting? It’s almost beyond belief. --Jim Broede

No comments: