Saturday, February 23, 2019

A specialized lover, am I.


I try to ignore much of what’s happening. Daily. Around me. Stuff near and far. I could do more. To help strangers, for instance.  Such as visiting a nursing home.  Looking for someone who’s alone. Who seldom, if ever, has a visitor. I don’t take enough time to help others. Finding it too convenient to live too much of my life in relative isolation. Rather than actively looking for the needy.  And to do something about it. Of course, I make exceptions. I do some good deeds. To salve my conscience. If I were a more decent being, I’d go out of my way to help others.  Not only becoming more observant. But more compelled to do something about it. In significant ways. Instead. I sit at home. Consumed with myself. And by falling in love. With dear Jeanne. For 38 years. Now with Cristina.  For 10 years, and counting. That’s my way of being a lover.  Focusing on one or two. Giving it my all. In the process, I ignore so many others. But do you know what?  I ain’t going on a guilt trip. I’ll continue being a specialized lover. --Jim Broede

No comments: