Sunday, February 17, 2019

In search of a better dream.


I love writing. And doing almost anything. At my leisurely pace. With no deadline. That’s when I flow and perform the best.  Removed from any pressure. So maybe it was a bad choice. To become a newspaper reporter. But it worked. Because as a younger man. It was thrilling. To have to meet. An almost instant deadline. Bang. Bang. Bang. I had to bang out a story. Not tomorrow. But today. In the moment.  I did it. Don’t know how. But I did it. Repeatedly.  Of course, I didn’t have to do that every day. I could take my time, too. On a feature story. A day or two. Maybe even a week. Time to ponder.  That’s the way a life should be lived.  At a reasonable pace.  Exactly what I’m doing now. After waking from a tense dream. Of having to write a story. For a fast-approaching deadline. And suffering from writer’s block. Solved the problem. By getting up. And musing this. In less than two minutes.  Knowing. That if I wanted to. I could take all day. Or simply go back to bed. In search of a better dream. --Jim Broede

No comments: