Thursday, August 16, 2007

A god that helps me get over it.

Whenever tragedy strikes in my life, I’ve always told myself, “Get over it.” Happened when my dad committed suicide. Happened when dear sweet wife Jeanne was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. And happened when Jeanne died last January. One doesn’t get through life without some very bad times. But I’ve always coped. I’ve told myself, “Get over it.” That’s because there’s only one way I can live – happily. My mission in life is the pursuit of happiness. I do that largely with attitude. Doesn’t ever do much good to feel sorry for one's self. So I find ways to make the best of situations in the worst of times. When people need consoling, I inevitably advise them, “Get over it.” Maybe that’s why I occasionally alienate some folks on the Alzheimer’s message boards. They aren’t quite ready to get over it. They would rather hold pity parties. I prefer happy parties, not a bunch of folks sitting around lamenting woe is me. It’s like after the death of a dear friend or a true love. I’m more likely to reminisce about the happy times we had together. That sure beats mourning. I’m ready to celebrate his/her ascension to the spirit world. Yes, I believe in an afterlife. I have no proof that we survive our Earthly demise. But I instinctively want to believe it. So, yes, I do believe. It’s that simple. Just like my belief in god. I can’t prove god’s existence. But hey, that doesn’t stop me from believing. Because I have to. I can’t accept the world and life any other way. I believe in a god of love…and happiness. A god that helps me get over it. –Jim Broede

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever tragedy strikes in my life, I’ve always told myself, “Get over it.” Happened when my dad committed suicide.

That was a tragedy??

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, I think most every suicide is a tragedy at the time it occurs. And initially, that's the way I looked at by father's suicide. But as time passed, and I reflected and meditated, I looked at the suicide as dad's legitimate choice. He's totally forgiven for it. And I've told dad's spirit that maybe there was a silver lining or two because we learned to not let it bother us. We accepted it. Yes, we got over it. And got on with our lives. Without recrimination. --Jim Broede

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, even without sadness. After almost 60 years, I don't even feel sad about my dad's suicide. I've adjusted. At some point, one has to learn to be happy. With life. With our fate. Yes, I keep counting my blessings. --Jim Broede