Friday, August 24, 2007

...to love, especially the few intimates around me.

I really can’t get mad or upset – at least not nearly to the degree of some of you. I’m referring to some of the anonymous posters on this blog, in the comments section. Where I’ve deleted some of the most scurrilous posts. Some of you have lost decorum. You use profanity with abandon. And personal insults. Incredible. You really get carried away. And over what? Mere ideas. My personal opinions. Heck, you can't control my opinions. You don’t have that power – any more than I can dictate what you should believe. Seems to me there’s no sense in becoming furious over ideas or events out of one’s control. It’s like getting upset over the weather. Might as well live with it. Make the best of it. Even if it’s raining or snowing. One can still find a way to enjoy the outdoors. Maybe by cross-country skiing or by singing in the rain. Well, I’ve been accused of being hurtful to survivors of suicide. Because I encourage them to get over it. The sooner, the better. I upset one lady because I described my father’s suicide almost 60 years ago as an heroic act, of sorts. Well, what harm can that be? I accept the fact that it happened. That it can’t be undone. So I don’t let it bother me. Hasn’t for a long, long time. So I often encourage other survivors of tragedies, from Alzheimer's to suicide, to get over it, too. I guess that seems rather callous to some. But hey, if it is, that’s my nature. No reason to take offense. No reason to make me out as evil and despicable and wrong-headed. Just accept the fact that’s the way I think. Shouldn’t matter to you, should it? All I’m doing is telling folks what works for me. People are free to take it or leave it. And to even disagree with me. But to get angry and hostile and shout epithets at me – well, that’s rather ridiculous. Anyway, there are worse things to get angry about. For instance, with George Bush over his launching an ungodly and unwarranted war in Iraq. The deaths of hundreds of thousands, including innocent women and children. Oh, what a terrible toll. On our American psyche. So many soldiers dead. So many more veterans maimed for life, physically, mentally and emotionally. That disappoints me no end. Makes me downright sad. But I don’t get angry, I guess, because so much of what happens in the world is out of my hands. I have to accept it grudgingly. And meanwhile, I focus on what I can control. My anger. My temper. And I can try to love, especially the few intimates around me. –Jim Broede

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I wanted to contribute, but, all you seem to want to do is put people down, then jump on them if they respond. It seems like you are only commenting, or "brooding" about faults you see in others, and certain subjects you know are inflammatory, then berate people who respond negatively. If you want any of it, you should take it all.
Maybe you should just limit comments to your "few intimates".

You MAY be able to have an intelligent debate on religion or war, etc., but I don't see it.

BTW, this is an excerpt from a personal letter from the Father of a very brave young man in Iraq:
".....I talked to him yesterday. Will says that his unit is working 8 hours on and 8 hours off shifts 24/7. He cannot tell me everything that is happening, but he has said that they have been in numerous conflicts and that several members of his unit have died. What a way to spend your first few weeks. I told him that our office is putting together a care box to send to him and his unit and when I asked him what they needed most his reply took me totally off guard. Will says that what everyone wants is the support of the American people and to tell the politicians to allow them to complete their mission."

I really think that his opinion is one of the ones that truly matters.
Maebee

Broede's Broodings said...

I have lots of faults, too, Maebee. More than I can list. I have yet to live a mistake-free day in my entire life. I learn from many of my mistakes. But seems like I always find new ways to make new mistakes. That makes life interesting. My goal is to live one mistake-free day. That's why I want to live forever. It'll take that long. --Jim

P.S. Thanks for your contribution. Maebee. I think it's reasonably civil. Therefore, it passed the screening test.

Anonymous said...

Maebee--I support our soldiers but abhor the war. You already know that in my opinion our presence in Iraq and the resulting loss of life is totally senseless.

Debating our different views on the war would be enjoyable...but...that is not the reason for my writing this. Will's statement that he would like the troops to be allowed to complete their mission is.

I'm 62 and come in contact with very few servicemen and am exceedingly curious as to what Will feels his mission in Iraq is. If you can ask (or care to give me your slant), I would appreciate it.

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm opposed to war, period. I wonder if there's an advanced civilization in the cosmos that has totally eliminated war. That's where I want to live. I hope that in the spirit world there is no war. Only love. I suppose if one is a spirit, it'd be possible to live on Mars or Jupiter or Saturn or Uranus or Pluto. Or in another solar system. I think that would be a wonderful life. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

If there is to be discussion on war, religion, etc., it would be much more efficient if the subjects were given their own entry, without reference to members of the forum, without judgement, without reference to what has been posted at the forum. I can hardly address an issue, when it is clouded up with so many other issues.

Is it possible to limit a few entries to single subjects??
See where that goes.

Maebee

Broede's Broodings said...

Your suggestion is a good one, Maebee. But when we have rather free and open discussion, sometimes it's hard to control. You saw how out of hand things were getting before I started screening replies. The important thing is for us to try to be polite and considerate of each other. That makes for a better flow. Better than when some folks get snide and nasty. Meanwhile, Maebee, I think you've been good for the comments section of this blog. And I like it that you have the courage to identify yourself. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I am not referring to the response section. I am referring to your "brooding" section. I am suggesting brooding about one subject in particular, without mentioning what you think about past encounters, past opinions of your observations,or passing judgment. I'm suggesting you try to have the blog stand on its own. I'm suggesting you lay out your own, personal feelings about a subject, say, the Iraqi war. Straightforward. Then, respond to the responses.

It seems like it is too connected to the forum, not really new or different. And, you do seem to be the one who is bringing others into it, personally, even if you weren't the first one to mention names. You knew forum members would visit, since you and "rosie" are promoting it there. You also knew that we would know exactly who you were talking about, and not like it.

Do you understand what I am suggesting?
Maebee