Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Brainwashed by the power elites...mostly white males.

I feel advantaged. Because I’m a man. Not a woman. A man has more privileges. It’s a man’s world – designed to benefit man more than woman. Always has been, and probably always will be. Also, in American society the edge goes overwhelmingly to the whites over the blacks. Always has been. Oh, sure, there have been 'improvements.' So-called gains. Moves toward fairness. More equality for all. But still, there are significant inequalities between men and women and between whites and blacks. Women should find it easy to understand the plight of blacks. Because the cards have been stacked against women. Virtually forever. Women didn’t even get the right to vote in America until a century and a half after the nation was founded. The blacks had to wait a bit longer. And had to start out as slaves. Uprooted. From their homelands. By force. Women, by the way, still don’t fully have equal rights. In practice. White women, however, have a consolation. If they were black women, they’d have fewer rights. Must be frustrating for women. Denied equal footing with men. Sure, women have made progress in America. But, baby, you women still have a long way to go. Maybe you white women can feel good in that you’re treated more equal and more fairly than blacks. But still, you aren’t as ‘equal’ in practice as a privileged white man. Women, by the way, have been subjugated in this world far longer than blacks. It wasn’t until the 1400s and the Spanish conquistadors that the power elites started to look at dark-skinned people as inferiors. Women have been cast as inferiors forever, or so it seems. Some blacks, and some women, too, have for far too long pacifily accepted their designated roles as 'inferiors.' And to this day, some women fool themselves into thinking it ain’t all that bad. Because things are getting better. That’s a sign, dear women, that you’ve been brainwashed by the power elites...mostly white males. –Jim Broede

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is you who are brainwashed - always remember that behind every great man there is an even greater woman.

Oh I forgot, freedom of speech is allowed on your "blog" only if it is yours or it suits your purpose.

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, behind a great man like me, there's really more than a great woman. In fact, a goddess. My Jeanne. She's not a mere mortal. She's a goddess. And that, more than anything, is what makes me great.

And as for freedom of speech, I allow it. As long as it's reasonably decent. I try to set a high standard around here. A nice, positive tone. Have you noticed? --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

could you please tell me what a man can do a woman can't?

Broede's Broodings said...

Anonymous:

For starters, a true woman can't be a true man. At least not at the same time. Albeit, there might be a rare, rare exception. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Be serious Jim, Do tell me what is it a man can do a woman can't. Try to not be a sa You started this

Broede's Broodings said...

Well, to be serious, dear Anonymous, women can do just about anything a man can do. But women are often denied the opportunity. For instance, I dare a woman to try to become a Catholic priest. In some religions, women are more or less treated as second class. Men are held as superior. And I think that still happens in many sectors of the busienss world. Women are often denied pay equal to what a man would receive in the same position. If you are a woman, anonymous, you know full well that women are discriminated against in many ways. Their white male counterparts are given special privileges. Women's situation, in general, keeps improving. But hey, there's still a long way to go, isn't there? The same thing with racial minorities. Things are better for minorities than it used to be. But still, they get the shaft often enough, just because they are minorities. The issue is usually denial of equal opportunity. And that denial can come in subtle ways. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Well I asked for a serious answer, First of all woman can become a priest. Please don't humor me with a dare, you assume I am female. Second, no I am not a woman. I am also native american. Born and raised in this great country. I have served my county. I am also educated. I was not handed anything I did not work for. I have never felt I have ever gotten the "shaft" as you put it, in your reply. You tend to assume alot. You seem to imply that you are superior, ever think that its that type of person who create's the denial of equal opportunity. I work with and know many respectable woman, that are equal. There are good and bad in men and women, in all races. No one is above another.

Broede's Broodings said...

Dear Anonymous Native American Man:

Sounds to me like you have a very good attitude. And that’s probably why you’ve succeeded. You’ve made the best of your situation. In that sense, you set a good example for others. But I think that as a whole, Native Americans have been given the shaft. Yes, your ancestors were treated cruelly and unjustly. It’s a national disgrace. The equivalent of genocide. Seems that you’ve adjusted well. To circumstances. But many other Native Americans haven’t. And that’s sad. Maybe it’s because they didn’t get equal opportunity. I know full well that if I had been born black instead of white 72 years ago, I wouldn’t have had the same opportunities. My education would have been inferior, in segregated schools. I wouldn’t have had the same job opportunities. Only because of the color of my skin. America has been a racist society from the very beginning. A society in which the powerbrokers have been largely white privileged men. Things are getting better. But still, we’ve a long way to go. We still have an underclass that’s being exploited. The rich get richer. And the poor get poorer. And I don’t like it. That makes me a dissident. You tell me that no one is above another. Well, in America, the rich are powerful. The poor are weak. That puts some people above other people. The richer you are, the more say you have about how the system is run. And who’s making war these days? The rich. The elite. They’re the policymakers. And who’s fighting the war? Giving their lives for the country? It’s not the sons and daughters of the rich folks. You can bet on that. I’ll tell you who gets the shaft in America. The poor folks and the lower middle class. That ain’t fair. And I’m trying to do something about it. By speaking up. By raising hell. –Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Jim--The official Roman Catholic hierarchy still does not recognize women priests. There have been some ordinations but the hierarchy (headed by the Pope) have declared them invalid and in several cases the women have been excommunicated.

The most interesting and perhaps the most documented case of a woman claiming ordination is that of Ludmila Javorova. She was ordained in 1970 during Communist rule in Czechoslovakia. Her ordination although attempted Bishop Felix Maria Davidek (a bishop in communion with the Pope) was declared to be invalid.

Out Of The Depths: The Story Of Ludmila Javorova, Ordained Roman Catholic Priest is the name of a book telling her story