Monday, September 10, 2007

That's all I'd need...a Jeanne.

I try imagining living in a black supremacy society, or in a country where the power elites are oppressive white women, or in a Muslim theocracy. Wouldn’t bode well for me in any of those places, I suppose. After all, I’m a white male and a free-thinker, and damn proud of it.

But I’d like to think that I could survive and live happily under those conditions. Because I like to make the best of bad situations.

It’s a little like what I did when Jeanne came down with Alzheimer’s Disease. I had to learn to cope, and to take good care of Jeanne.

And I did it by focusing on what I had to do; and by staying positive.

I became stretched thin as a 24/7 caretaker, and became exhausted and depressed, and that made me an inadequate care-giver. I finally had to put Jeanne in a nursing home, so I’d get much needed daily respite.

Well, as it turns out, I became an 8-10 hour a day care-giver, supplementing the care Jeanne got from the professional staff at the nursing home. And it worked wonders. For Jeanne. And for me.

An agitated and belligerent Jeanne became a content and happy Jeanne, and even showed some cognitive improvement during her 3 years at Birchwood. And I think I had a lot to do with it. Because I gave Jeanne positive attention and loving care. I didn’t miss a day with Jeanne in 38 months. With rare exception, I took Jeanne outdoors daily, and pushed her wheelchair 8-10 miles. I hand fed her lunch and supper. In her room. And played soft, soothing music. And I gave Jeanne a nightly shower and body massage. Often, I’d bring Jeanne home for a few hours. Especially during the good weather periods in the spring, summer and fall. I personally tucked Jeanne into bed every night. And whispered sweet nothings.

Indeed, it was a fulfilling, satisfying, positive experience. Yes, I had made the best of a bad situation.

Anyway, as I see it, living in a black supremacy society or in a country where the ruling elite were oppressive women or in a Muslim theocracy – all of these, would present a challenge. But I don’t think it would be any more difficult for me to cope than it was in being Jeanne’s care-giver for 13 years. I could adapt, and live a satisfactory life under all of these scenarios.

And here’s how I’d do it. I’d sort of isolate myself. Live in a cocoon, so to speak. I’d cultivate close and understanding and even intimate, one-on-one relationships/friendships. That’s how I’d get my sustenance, my life fulfillment.

To me, there’s a certain pleasure in not fitting in to a social structure. Makes one feel more like an individual. To be left out. To me, the real hurt comes from not fitting into the political and economic structure. It’s easier for me to adapt if I am denied access to the social structure. I can become a loner, and like it. A lone wolf. And still feel comfortable.

If I’m ostracized by society, it’s because of my thoughts, my ideas, which go against the grain, against the popularly supported accepted thinking. I would be in conflict with the majority sentiment. I would be in disfavor with the power elites.

But I would try to persuade the powers-that-be that I am no serious threat. That I recognize that as an individual I am powerless to overthrow the regime. And I am satisfied to retreat to my cocoon. And I could have a satisfying, fulfilling life there, with my handful of associates or friends. Maybe only one friend. That’s all I’d need…a Jeanne. –Jim Broede

No comments: