Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I knew I had lived. Truly lived.

I used to think of Alzheimer's as one of the worst things that could ever happen in one's life. Especially when it strikes the one person you love the most. Cherish the most. I started out feeling sorry for Jeanne. And for myself. But at some point, I just learned to accept it. Adjust. Cope. Make sacrifices. And essentially know what I had to do. Put the rest of my life on hold. Just to take care of Jeanne. And when I did that, I began to think that I've been blessed. That Alzheimer's helped me get my life in proper perspective. Proper balance. I understood that there was nothing more important in my life than to care for, and to love Jeanne. No matter what. Call it what you may. But I think of it as unconditional love. Loving Jeanne. And caring for Jeanne. That was what I was put on Earth to do. That was my god-given mission. Once I understood that, I fully understood that Alzheimer's isn't the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing is to not be able to love another human being -- unconditionally, that is. And once I learned I was capable of doing that, I knew I had lived. Truly lived. --Jim

No comments: