Saturday, September 22, 2007

Let's think positively.

Please folks, understand that I don’t like to see suffering. I have waged crusades against suffering. Throughout my life. Against genocide. Against war. Against poverty. Against racial discrimination. Against so many things that cause suffering. I’m for the narrowing of the gap between the rich and the poor -- a better, more equitable distribution of wealth. I’m also for universal health care. So that the poor can afford and receive good health care. I want a world in which there is less suffering.

And what I’m saying is that each of us suffers. To some degree. In our lifetimes. That’s the nature of life. All is not smooth and hunky dory. And ultimately, we die. And the dying process can be -- well, painful. A period of suffering. Suffering is a part of life. Nobody gets through life without suffering. Oh, sure, we can choose not to suffer. My dad decided to commit suicide. When he was 38. A conscious decision. Maybe because he didn’t want to suffer any more.

To tell you the truth, I rather enjoy life. Even though at times I have to suffer. If I get a terminal illness (Alzheimer’s, for instance), I’ll probably suffer. And I guess what I’m asking, is that a price worth paying for the happiness I’ve had in my life? For the happiness I’ve had in almost 40 years with Jeanne. My answer, of course, is yes.

And furthermore, I believe in an afterlife. In entry to another dimension. A spirit world. A paradise, of sorts. So, life goes on. And to reach this spirit world, is it worth having to suffer while on Earth? Yes, I guess so. Because for the vast majority of the time, I’m not suffering. I’m genuinely happy. And in love. With life. And with the thought that when I die, I’ll still live. In a spirit world. Where I may have a greater sense of love. And joy.

Some of you, right off the bat, give my comments a negative twist. Don’t you understand that I’m a positive thinker? An optimist.

By the way, this guy Jesus that some of you frequently quote. He had a horrible death. Suffered. But seems to me he loved life. And he accepted the suffering. Maybe because he understood that death was not the end of life. That’s all I’m saying, folks. Let’s put things in perspective. Let's do less griping. Let‘s think positively. --Jim Broede

No comments: