Friday, September 28, 2007

...that pain will soon turn to pleasant memories.

A woman named Kathy is grieving because her beloved grandfather died.

“My grandmother tried to care for him at home as long as she could,” Kathy wrote on the Alzheimer’s message boards, “and I would always help whenever they needed me. At the end my grandfather only remembered me. I did everything I could to make sure that he was comfortable and had his dignity.”

Kathy reflected that it’s been almost two months and that she’s struggling to come to peace over grand dad’s passing and that it’s negatively affecting her daily life.

“What can I do when I feel like nobody understands the pain I’m going through?” Kathy asked. “I still have to put on a strong front for my grandmother and mother.”

I told Kathy you don’t have to put on a strong front for anyone. Just be yourself. Grieve. Cry. Scream. Let it out. When you hurt, when you feel pain and anguish and sorrow – well, tell the people around you. Your mom. Your friends. And then try to think of your grand dad. The fact that you knew him. Dearly. Intimately. And celebrate that fact. He was a blessing. Be thankful for that. Life is full of losses. Setbacks. But wonderful things, too. So many, many dear people. Your friends. And relatives. Acquaintances. They’ll come and go in your life. Some will move away. Others will die. But life goes on. In wonderful ways. And you’ll fall in love. And some of your loves may well die before you. You’ll grieve those losses, I am sure. But you’ll be better for having known all these folks that played a big part in your life. And you’re lucky. To have been able to come to know your grandparents. Some of our grandparents even die before we are born. I never knew my grandparents on my mother’s side of the family. And I can barely remember my grandparents on my father’s side of the family. I was still a youngster when they died. Anyway, I understand your pain, Kathy. But that pain will soon turn to pleasant memories – that bring smiles rather than tears and pain –Jim Broede.

No comments: