Saturday, September 29, 2007

That's nice enough.

When somebody is good to me, I am grateful. The baseball gods have been good. In allowing the Cubs to get into the play-offs. That’s good enough for me. I’m not greedy. If the Cubs lose in the play-offs, I can accept that. Without regret. Without being depressed. Or annoyed. Or pissed. Oh, sure it’d be nice if the Cubs went all the way to the World Series, and won it all. But I’m not asking the baseball gods for that. Because the gods have already granted me one of my fervent wishes. Just getting the Cubs into the play-offs by winning the National League Central. I’m not asking for more. Of course, I’ll take more. Gladly. Happily. But if I don’t get more, I’ll be happy, too. Just because the Cubs went from worst to first in one season. That’s nice enough. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait 'til next year.
They're a young ball club.
If it takes forever.
Sigh.
Eileen

Broede's Broodings said...

Eileen:

Next year, it'll happen. You heard it here first. The Cubs go all the way. On the 100th anniversary of their last world championship. They made great strides this past season. --Jim Broede