Thursday, September 27, 2007

'Truth is Stranger than Fiction'

Dear Larry:

You are a perceptive little cuss. One who gets under the skin of the elite members of the Ladies Aid Society. They’re pompous ladies, aren’t they? Very judgmental. In so many ways, they act like old hags. But Larry, that’s their choice, isn’t it? They’ve let life defeat ‘em. They’re angry. Unhappy. That they’ve had to deal with the pitfalls of Alzheimer’s and care-giving. They whine. They feel sorry for themselves, more so than for their patients. And they don’t like facing the truth. If they stop to ruminate for a while, maybe they’d understand that they are blessed. Blessed with the opportunity to love. Unconditionally. To no longer lament the hand they’ve been dealt. One of the ladies seems to have been bitter ever since her 21-year marriage broke up. Her husband apparently ran off with a younger woman. And at the same time, she’s had to cope with watching a beloved mother slowly fade away. Yes, the dreaded Alzheimer’s. So she had a double whammy in her life. And it just seemed like her problems multiplied. I understand that. The woman deserves empathy and sympathy. But at some point, she has to right her own ship. And get on with life. Larry, you’re the sort of person who would tell her just that. And that wouldn’t be appreciated. But if you were that woman’s friend, Larry, you’d tell her to focus on what she’s still got. The pluses. The blessings. Being an alive and conscious being. And still able to salvage happiness. If only she set her mind to it. Another member of the society is an author. Wrote a book about Alzheimer’s and care-giving, and had it self-published. In the vanity press. Which is all right. She knows how to promote herself and her book. And lots of authors do that. It’s their livelihood, after all. But she’s hung up over this notion of suicide. A family member took his own life. And at the about the same time, her father was dying of Alzheimer’s. Yes, the double whammy effect again. Ain’t easy to cope with one tragedy. But, hey, two at a time. It can take a toll on one’s mental and emotional equilibrium. And I feel for this woman. I tried to console her in a private letter once. By telling her how I dealt with my father’s suicide. And that in some ways I considered my dad’s decision to take his own life a heroic act, of sorts. That it wasn’t all bad. That oftentimes, something good can be salvaged from a seemingly bad and distressful act. I did. I resolved the suicide in my mind. And learned to live with it. And to get on with life. I actually demonstrated to my dad’s spirit how one can live a happy life, despite the pitfalls. Anyway, the woman took me to task, on the Alzheimer’s message board. She publicly divulged some of what I had said in my private letter. She also distorted my position. Took it out of context. So I set the record straight and quoted from our correspondence. Well, you know what, Larry? She accused me of violating our privileged private correspondence. When, actually, she did it first, and more or less forced my hand. She could just as easily have chosen to continue our private dialogue. Instead, she decided to make it public. Anyway, Larry, as you well know, the Ladies Aid Society has an abundance of interesting characters. I think you’ve characterized one of ‘em as Mother Superior. Seems appropriate to me. She often chastises me and tells me how to act. Tells me what’s proper and improper. And that I can learn to be a good boy. Well, the irony of the whole thing is that she’s got her own family problems. She needs to clean up her own act and mend some of her own fences. With her lovely daughter, for instance. Maybe Mother Superior needs to change her ways. Well, Larry, I know you are plugged in to the Alzheimer’s message boards. That’s evident from the correspondence you’ve posted in this blog. You and I could sit down some day and collaborate. And write a book. About the Ladies Aid Society. And we could call it, “Truth is Stranger than Fiction.” --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pity you feel the need to do this again, I have been enjoying reading your recent posts which show more than this post which is just designed to bring the "ladies" back and respond to your allegations.

Your "fiction" is just that "fiction" NOT truth at all, you know none of these people personally, and are just posting this thread to bait, and bring "Larry" back as he/she seems to have got bored with you, as are most of us.

Broede's Broodings said...

Ah, dear anonymous, truth is an elusive commodity, isn't it? Your truth. My truth. What is true? If only we all knew. If we all had a common truth. That would make life a lot easier, wouldn't it? The one true religion. The one true philosophy. The one true way of life. The one true love. The one true political system. The one true economic system. The one true social system. The one true common good. Ain't gonna happen. Life is a constant search for truth. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Jim,
They are a talkin about a special place on the forum over thar for caregver survivors.

After the way they was actin like fools all weekend Bubba. I am quite sure the Big boys want to give them every consideration. Lori has balls does she not.

Another place Where they can fly on their brooms and Ms.Kelli can go and put out more fires when they are on another witch hunt.

Bubba I think they need a special place over thar for bein assholes on the weekend. What do ya think of that idea?

It could be called: Friday Night Farts

Talkin about the weekend romp. I looked at that title of that thar tread called Broede"s Blog Will Hurt You.

As I looked at that I pondered and had to ask myself why?

Then I thougt Jaye does not even know you or does she?

Anyone with a lick of sense could see..Jaye is DEBORAH UETZ.

I read that stuff she was a spittin out and I said to myself yep that's are Drama Queen and she's about as gone as a girl can get.

She must be one of them thar bi a polars Ophah was a tellin us about the other day.

Bubba look closer at that thar board at who is postin and who sucks up to who and if ya look real close you will see.

The Holy one's will get theirs it's just a matter of time Bubba.

Now old Deborah Uetz she is a bein careful right now when she posts usin her own name.After her 2 week suspension from the Alzheimer's Association Message Board.

They told ol Deborah Uetz to strighten up and fly right or else.So she put her broom in the closet and out came one of her alters Jaye.

The Big Boys have read what the Queens wrote way back when their brooms landed over thar on the dark side and they were a goin at it runnin their mouths.

A bashin you Bubba and the Alzheimers Association Administrator. One of them mentioned her corner office and her paycheck. So all have seen the big picture for a long time of what the Queens really think.

The only reason they cleaned their act up over thar that time was cause Ann came along and she a flatin them out. She told every one of them.

Then about that time they found out everyone was a readin so brooms back in the corner and they now pm each other.

Ann may be the only Holy one thar and that is why Hot stuff Mama's Friend is a suckin up to her right now as she is thinkin maybe some of that will rub off on her sorry ass.

yep Jim it takes a little time to see the big picture over thar but if an old buzzard like me can figger it so can you.