Friday, October 5, 2007

...in wonderful, meaningful ways.

In the last three or four years of caring for my precious Jeanne, I sensed that Jeanne was happy. Contented. At peace. Oh, so happy. With me. With herself. With life. Oh, yes, she was cognitively impaired. With dementia. But she didn't know any better than to be happy. I reminded Jeanne every day that it's all right to have a one-track mind. As long as the train of thought is a happy thought. Jeanne didn't even have to fully understand why she was happy. Jeanne certainly made me happy. And I think I made her happy. Every night when I tucked Jeanne in bed, I encouraged her to fall asleep with a happy thought on her mind. I told her that a happy thought may trigger a happy dream. Sometimes, I wonder. Do happy, upbeat and pleasant vibes trigger happiness in Alzheimer patients? Yes, I think so. They do get it. Certainly, Jeanne got it. Yes, I had Jeanne in wonderful, meaningful ways, despite the dementia. --Jim Broede

No comments: