Friday, October 5, 2007

Maybe the Ladies Aid Society should try it sometime.

Shirlee posted on the Alzheimer's message boards the other day and she caught my attention. Because she told of going outdoors in a thunderstorm and dancing. Shirlee described herself as a romantic and a free spirit. And I thought, how wonderful.

Reminded me of the times I took Jeanne out in a wheelchair for a romp in a thunderstorm. I posted about it & told of what a good time we had. And I was taken to task for it. By some of the overly cautious members of the Alzheimer's Ladies Aid Society. They said I was putting Jeanne at risk. But Jeanne and I did it for years. We liked to live dangerously. And I see Shirlee does, too. Which I think is nice. I let Jeanne take lots of chances. Even when she had Alzheimer's. I risked taking her to Germany, where she fell and broke her wrist. And I took her to Arizona for 6 weeks, and she fell and broke a suborbital bone beneath her eye. But I think it was nice taking those risks. Rather than playing life too safely. Life is full of risks. It doesn't hurt to be daring sometimes. I guess I just trust that god won't strike us down with a thunder bolt. Although he's been known to do it with some folks. Anyway, like Shirlee says, walking/dancing in the rain to the sound of thunder proved to be a stress-buster. Maybe the Ladies Aid Society should try it sometime. --Jim Broede

No comments: