Thursday, October 11, 2007

'Rest now. Mom will be here soon.'

A woman named Ruth at the Birchwood nursing home where my Jeanne stayed often called for her long dead parents. As if they were still alive. She did this almost every afternoon, shortly after lunch. Instead of taking a nap, she went on and on. Pleading for her mother to come and comfort her. Well, I'd go into Ruth's room. And I'd concoct a story. That I had just talked to her mother a little while ago, and that mom was going shopping, to buy a gift for Ruth. And that she'd be returning later this afternoon. And that she was coming with a surprise for Ruth. And I told Ruth how much her mother adored her. And this made Ruth happy. And I told Ruth to take a nap now, and that when she waked, her mother would probably be there. And Ruth dozed off. With a smile on her face. And I kept whispering to Ruth, "Rest now. Mom will be here soon." --Jim Broede

No comments: