Wednesday, November 7, 2007

...no greater achievement.

I distrust institutions. I think organizations tend to separate ourselves from each other. We need to cultivate one-on-one relationships. Outside of institutions. That’s why I avoid churches, for instance. I want to know the minister intimately. One-on-one. But in the institutional setting, the minister doesn’t have time for me. He/she is spread too thin. Tending to the flock. That’s our mistake. We never really get to know each other. Because we are too busy trying to be all things to all people. I find fulfillment in one-on-one relationships. Because then our focus is narrowed – on to each other. That’s the way it should be. I find that love of masses of people is virtually impossible. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I am for the common good. For doing what’s good for society as a whole. But to be an effective lover, one must focus one-on-one. Treat each individual as distinct and separate. And to love an individual unconditionally. If one truly loves one other, then one has learned to love. In a very real way. Rather than in an abstract way. To fully relate to another human being – yes, there can be no greater achievement than that. --Jim Broede

No comments: