Monday, November 5, 2007

What is love?

I guess I'm asking, what is love? I'm suggesting that the mere statement, "I love you," is not enough. I'm suggesting that in some ways love is not love until it's unconditional. It's that for better or for worse thing. Just because one's spouse has Alzheimer's is no reason to stop loving him/her. In fact, it's even more reason to love. And what about the edict to love one's enemy? That's a pretty tough thing to do. How does one achieve love of one's enemy? What must one do to get there? I guess I'm suggesting that we humans tend to not love enough. And if that's the case, does it stop short of pure or unconditional love? Is it all right to put qualifications and conditions on love and still call it love? I always question whether I've loved enough. In most instances, my answer would be, no I haven't. Yes, it's quite possible I've loved to some significant degree, but, let's say, in the eyes of god, it still comes up short. I rather suspect that the overwhelming majority of us have never loved anyone unconditionally. To the point where we would even give up our lives for our "loved" one. --Jim

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a confusing blog. If YOU respond in the response area, then make that same response into an entry, where does one respond to that "thought"??

It seems to me that, by merely stating that love needs to be conditional, you are putting a condition on it. If love needs to be profound, or so deep that one should feel they could give their life for that person, you are putting a condition on it. It seems to me, that your definition of love IS too conditional. I think you are the one that has too many conditions on your love.

I think, you think about it too much, instead of simply loving. Too much picking apart; examining. I do not take saying "I love you" lightly, at all. Maybe some do.

Broede's Broodings said...

Dear Anonymous:

I'm happy to say that I'm not confused, even if you are. It's crystal clear to me. I love to love. And I hate to hate. It's that simple. If you set your mind to it, you can get it, too. Me thinks that you don't think enough. Exercise that mind of yours. And just like that. Presto. Your mind will become clear. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

jim..

what is love?..for me..it is to accept my husband for the man he is and embrace our differences..rather than resist them..if that makes sense..

I think success of my marriage..is in large part based..on the willingness of each partner..to do what it takes..to meet the other's needs.

I have been blessed jim..I have have a strong and clear voice that is heard..and I have been treated with dignity and respest by all three men in my life.I have been loved..

Anonymous said...

jim..after reflecting for a few minutes on your question What is Love..may I add..

what I know now is..that I am surrounded by beauty..I am surrounded by love..my senses are keen.. in.. the here and now..and I am blessed with..what I have..and understand that..so I might say my perception..is keen..

Anonymous said...

Jim--This will sound strange...I would give up my life for Charlie...but...I cannot say that I love him unconditionally. I can say with certainty that as long as one of us exists, I will be there for him whenever he needs me.

In all honesty...I don't know exactly what love is. Love between two unrelated individuals may not actually have to be romantic or be expressed physically.

I've begun to think that it is an ongoing mix of deep respect, constant good thoughts and great wishes for someone, a continual concern for their physical, emotional and spiritual state, a willingness to offer support, help and put their needs ahead of yours. Respect, commitment and connection could be the defining factors.