Thursday, December 6, 2007

That's a good start.

The woman signs herself frustrated and stressed. "Hello," she writes on the Alzheimer's message boards. "I'm new to this site. I'm 23 years old. My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago. He is now 78 and in the late stages. And to make matters worse, he is also diabetic. He doesn't speak and he doesn't have any hobbies. He mainly watches TV, which seems depressing to me. But he doesn't talk. So I don't know if he likes it or not. I've come to the point where I don't think there is much my family can do for him. But we're not ready to give up. Is there any types of puzzles or mind-stimulating games I could give him to occupy his time and maybe make him smile? He can't read and the only activity he likes is writing his name 200 times or pacing back and forth. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

Well, I have some ideas. Take him out in a wheelchair. Maybe the sense of motion and the fresh air will stimulate him. Or sing him a song, or play music. Sometimes, music works better than the spoken word. Give him a shoulder massage, or a foot massage. Or a kiss on the cheek. See if that brings the slightest hint of a smile. Try to talk to his spirit. And ask god for help. And think good thoughts about him. All this stuff may not help. But it won't hurt. And it's worth a try. Yes, keep thinking of little ways to reach him, to stimulate him. I'll bet that you find something that works. Eventually. I've spent lots of time in a nursing home. And I have yet to see someone that can't be reached, one way or another. Sometimes, all it takes is a simple touch. Or communion with a spirit. A personal conversation with god. Imploring his help. I find that nothing is hopeless. One can even communicate with the dead. So, why not with someone stricken with Alzheimer's? You've gotta try. You've gotta believe. That's a good start.--Jim Broede

No comments: