Saturday, December 8, 2007

That's what keeps us sane. Crazy love.

"Lots of frenzied residents tonight at my mom's assisted living facility," Jo writes on the Alzheimer's message boards. "Not sure what is up. My mom asked me when I walked in, 'What am I?' I said, 'What?' She said, 'Am I a boy or a girl?' I told her she was a girl. She said someone asked her and she wasn't sure what to tell them. Another woman was sitting in a chair yelling 'Mom, where are you? I am waiting for you!' Crazy disease."

Yes, I agree, it is a crazy disease. And life is crazy, too. And falling in love is crazy. And so there's a good kind of crazy. And you know what? It's still possible to find sanity in everything. Even in dealing with Alzheimer's. I found it. I think it's even possible to love someone with Alzheimer's. Right up to the end. And that is what makes the journey worthwhile. Finding the ability to love, despite the craziness of the disease. Love is a crazy thing, isn't it? But that's what keeps us sane. Crazy love. --Jim Broede

No comments: