Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fulfilled.

The advantage of retirement is the ability to not have to make a living by going to work daily. Oh, the income may not be as good as when one is gainfully employed. But expenses may not be as high, either. One can still be comfortable. And one, in a sense, has bought time. Time is worth a whole lot. Time to do what one truly wants to do. For some, it could be to do virtually nothing. For me, it's to write. And to love. Doing what I want to do. If I want to go for a walk, I go for a walk. If I want to nap, I nap. If I want to write, I write.

And sure, I'm aging. I'm getting older. That makes me cognizant of the fact that I've already lived most of my life. I have a relatively small fraction of my life left. But that makes me better appreciate the time I have left. I know it's important to live one day at a time. Each day. Fully. Not to waste the day. Find ways to be happy. Fulfilled. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Synchronicity said...

yes indeed...i am taking your message to heart this evening.

Anonymous said...

Jim---I'm now officially retired.
My problem is that I'm spending too much time feeling fulfilled and not enough time doing what needs to be done.

To paraphrase a Phyllis Diller quote:
"Cleaning a house you are sharing with someone with Alz. is like shoveling the driveway in the middle of a blizzard."

15 years of clutter need to be sifted through. I'm beginning to get the impression that a rake and a dump truck will be needed on top of tons of time.