Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I could have...never learned to be a lover.

When I see someone who is lost, I want to take them by the hand and lead them out of the labyrinth. People with doubts about the durability of life and love often feel lost. When they are at their low ebbs. Maybe when recovering from an illness. When tired and exhausted. They often have so many things going on in their lives. Now. More than I. If I turn back the clock 20 years, my life was more complicated then. I didn't have the luxury of time. To do pretty much as I pleased. I had a job. Writing for a newspaper. I had to be on the go. Daily. Doing things that maybe I'd rather not be doing. I would have loved being a full-time lover. I would have loved just writing what I loved to write. And later I became a care-giver. Pretty much full-time. Maybe that's when I most learned to love and appreciate life. Maybe that's when I became a full-time lover. I finally found my niche. That's what I was supposed to be doing all my life. It took me most of my lifetime to discover that. Good lord, I could have gone through my entire life and never learned to be a lover. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Synchronicity said...

do you think that you learned to love more...when you were a caretaker? i think this is what you are telling us but i want to make sure.

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, Merelyme, it is in the worst of times that I learned to love more. That is when I most cherished the love of my life. That is when I most appreciated what I had over those almost 40 years. That is when I was most grateful. Even today, 364 days after Jeanne died, I am still in love with Jeanne's spirit. And even today, Jeanne is teaching me to love better. Better than ever. --Jim Broede