Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's all right to be crazy...and still want to live.

I think my father was crazy. Real crazy. He was an habitual gambler. And he committed suicide. When he was 38. I guess he wanted to live only on his crazy terms. Or not to live at all. Anyway, I assume I have inherited many of my father's crazy genes. Only I've put them to a different use. Oh, a crazy use. I'm addicted, too. And I want to live life on my terms. Rather crazy terms, I suppose. I want to gamble. Not for money, like my dad. I want to gamble on love. I want to go crazy in love. Because I think that's what brings me happiness. That's why I've never seriously considered suicide. I find that I'd rather live. And here I am, living happily. At 72, and counting. Almost double the life span of my father, who opted out voluntarily. I'd even like to live forever. Or at least that's the way I feel now. Guess I'm trying to show my dad it's all right to be crazy...and still want to live. --Jim Broede

No comments: