Thursday, January 10, 2008

Maybe grandma will feel good, too.

"I was just wondering," teenager Amy writes on the Alzheimer's message boards, "if anybody has any tips on how to deal with your loved ones having Alzheimer's. I know there's all these sites that say don't take it personally. But it's hard to keep smiling and acting normal when your grandma no longer recognizes you. So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to help me out."

Matter of fact, Amy, I do have a suggestion. Maybe you could practice becoming an actress. I'm serious. Act as if grandma is all right. Pretend. And talk to grandma like she understands you. Tell her everything you ever wanted to tell her. Especially happy things. And how much you love her. You don't have to go in with a prepared script. Just improvise. And show grandma that you can play the role of a happy grandchild. One who smiles a whole lot. Yes, get yourself in a mood to play this wonderful role. See if you can give an Academy Award winning performance. I think it will make you feel good. And who knows? Maybe grandma will feel good, too. --Jim Broede

No comments: