Monday, January 7, 2008

That would drive a conservative crazy.

I think it's always good to question. To always doubt. Even when one believes. To have an iota of doubt. To admit that one can be wrong. It doesn't bother me that I can't be sure of anything. Because I don't ever know exactly where I am at in this cosmos. I'm continually moving. Evolving. Martin Buber, the Jewish theologian, said there are two basic types of spiritual personalities. The conservative always wants to know where he/she is. Wants dogma. Wants strict rules. But the liberal doesn't have to have rules or dogma. Doesn't need something solid to stand on. Because the liberal is always on the move. Always changing. Always adapting. The liberal is at Point A at the moment, but knows that he's likely to be at another unknown point at the next moment. At least, that's the way I understand what I think Buber is saying. I'm a liberal. And it doesn't frighten me. I'm in my comfort zone by not knowing where I'm at. That would drive a conservative crazy. --Jim Broede

No comments: