Thursday, February 14, 2008

And know what? It worked.

In my dear Jeanne’s last few years with Alzheimer’s, I reminded her daily that she had a one-track mind. Which was a good thing. I had her picture a single train track. With a single train on it. Then I had Jeanne visualize that same track with two trains. Or three trains. And I said, “That gets confusing, doesn’t it?” And I said it’s the same way with thoughts. If you have one thought on your mind, it’s so much easier to focus. But if you try to cram a second or third thought on your mind – look out. Confusion. Hey, too many trains on the same track and there’s more likely to be a collision. An accident. It ain’t safe. And I told Jeanne that it’s best to have a happy thought on her one-track mind. Just know you’re happy, I suggested, and you don’t even have to know the reason. It’s just good enough to know you’re happy. And know what? It worked. –Jim Broede

No comments: