Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Could be he was sad...because he had lost.

I must have been 9 or 10 at the time. I was with my dad. In a tavern. And dad was playing pool. For money. No surprise. My dad was a habitual gambler. He lived to gamble. And he was playing a young man. And dad won. And the guy who lost was devastated. I can’t remember all the details. But it might have been that he lost his entire paycheck. And I felt sad. I guess I didn’t feel happy for dad. It was this young man. Maybe I saw him cry. And later, when we drove away, I asked dad, ‘Why did you take that guy’s money?’ I don’t remember what dad said. But years and years later, I wonder how many times dad lost. And how he felt. One day, dad committed suicide. Could be he was sad…because he had lost. –Jim Broede

No comments: