Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Maybe he knew he was going to owe me...

I’ve written about this memory before. But this time, I’ve got a new ending. Something I just remembered.

The night my dad committed suicide, he was broke. He came to me. To borrow $2. I wonder what he did with it. Maybe he went out and bought strong rope. So he could go down to the basement and hang himself.

And now I’m thinking that dad repaid that debt. Ahead of time. Maybe a year or two earlier. I was a youngster. Maybe 10 or 11. In dad’s tavern in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. He had slot machines. And dad went in and arranged the nickels. So that I’d win a jackpot, of sorts. Out came about $2 worth of nickels. When we went home, I happily told mom I won big – a fortune.

Yes, dad repaid his debt ahead of time. Maybe he knew he was going to owe me…when he wasn’t around to pay his debt. –Jim Broede

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can only feel sad for you that your dad committed suicide. I can't imagine a child ever gets over something like having a parent commit suicide. How did you deal with this loss. I look at my own children facing the loss of a parent and know it is difficult for them. Their loss is by natural causes and it is so difficult. I feel for you.