Wednesday, February 13, 2008

She had forgotten the incident.

Used to be there weren't any pills to take to treat depression. One had to battle out of it. With mind over matter, I guess. My mom was depressed. For too long, it seemed to me, after my father committed suicide. Leaving mom with three children to raise. I was the oldest, at 13.

A year or so later, mom was still depressed. And it was getting to me. I thought it was time for mom to cheer up, and get on with life. Even then, still in my early teens, I didn't relish living in a household permeated by pessimism.

One night I confronted mom. Told her I had enough of the doom and gloom. I became angry. I caught mom's attention by picking up a porcelain lamp and throwing it to the floor, smashing it to smithereens. "Get over it," I yelled.

Well, eventually mom got over it. She married again. This time, it was a long and happy marriage. But when my step-father died, mom went into depression again in her waning years. Until she died at 88. Used to visit mom in those days. And it was difficult spending a weekend with her in depression. Reminded me of the time after dad died. But this time, I didn't get angry. Didn't toss any lamps. I tried to console and comfort mom.

I guess I wished mom could have been happy all her life. But at least she lived a long life, and had mostly happy years.

Toward the end of her life, I reminded mom about the time I flipped out and broke one of her favorite lamps. She had forgotten the incident. --Jim Broede

No comments: