Monday, March 17, 2008

As a spectator...and an avid fan.

I'm back in Minnesota. Shoveling snow. After 17 days in sunny Arizona. Such a nice break from winter. Indulging myself. Went to 15 Cubs games. And saw the Cubs win 6 times. And lose 9 games. Sat mostly in the shade. Maybe three times in the sun. I got a nice tan. No sunburn. Just a tan. Almost got one foul ball. When I was sitting behind home plate. The guy two seats away snared the ball. Arizona is a different world. It's not Minnesota. And it's dry. Not a drop of rain. Not even the threat of one. And temperatures in the 70s and 80s daily. Every night I walked. For miles. Through the local neighbohoods. Mostly affluent people. Many of them part-time residents. They don't like the summer heat. They are friendly people. They wave a lot. Many of them play lots of golf. They have the time. Because so many are retired. Like me. But I gave up golf long ago. I settle for baseball. As a spectator...and an avid fan. --Jim Broede

No comments: