Monday, March 17, 2008

...she deserves love.

Roger on the Alzheimer's message boards is feeling bad. Because he yelled at his Alzheimer's-stricken wife. When she refused to sit down and eat. Roger wished later that he hadn't done it. He even sat down and had a good cry.

Well, it happens, Roger. I lost my cool on occasion, too. Especially during the early stages of Alzheimer's. But in the last 38 months with Jeanne, I didn't lose my cool or my temper even once. I learned acceptance. I learned patience. I returned animosity and belligerence with kindness. I resolved to exude only good vibes in Jeanne's presence. And I was rewarded. Jeanne responded positively. Jeanne understood that I loved her. Right up to the end. I should have acted like that right from the beginning. It would have been the decent thing to do. The right thing. No need to yell. No need to get angry. If I can learn control, so can you. Ain't easy. But I told myself that I loved Jeanne. Unconditionally. And that's what she deserved. Unconditional love. And understanding. Just resolve to never yell at your sweet wife again, Roger. Believe me, she deserves love. More than ever now. Give it to her. And that'll make her feel a whole lot better. And you, too. --Jim Broede

No comments: