Wednesday, April 2, 2008

...the whys and wherefores of life.

On June 22, 1999, I was thinking that 4- and 5-year-olds keep asking the question, why?

Why this or that? Why is the sky blue? Why can’t I stay up a while longer? Why do I have to eat my broccoli?

In my journal, I observed that it’s obvious that youngsters have inquisitive minds. And I was wondering if as we grow older, do we too often forget to ask, ‘why?’ I told my beloved Jeanne on that day that the most important question we should be asking morning, noon and night, is why this or that?

Jeanne was wondering why she had to wear a tight white stocking from toe to her crotch. She didn’t like it – the discomfort caused by such a tight fit. But there was a reason. To reduce the risk of blood clots as she recovers from hip surgery.

For a while, Jeanne wasn’t asking, why? Because of her dementia. Alzheimer’s. But on this particular day almost 9 years ago she was finding her groove. Asking why this or that?

Yes, Jeanne was having some good days. Blessed days that made her more keen. So much more easy to live with.

And I had a hunch that this world would be a better place, if only we pondered the why to a whole lot of things. Maybe the world has forgotten to ask why? Why is the world like it is? Why don’t we find more ways to get along? Why can’t we live in peace and harmony? Why don’t I get off my butt and go out and jog? Maybe because I’m writing a broodings. This blog. Well, that’s settled. I’m going out for a long walk so that I can ponder the whys and wherefores of life. –Jim Broede

No comments: