Friday, May 30, 2008

...the goodness of most Americans.

I have a new hero. He's the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Catholic priest. In Chicago. I'd attend his church any day. He's my kind of guy. A straight shooter. With a biting sense of humor. And he's a liberal. And a staunch friend of black people. And a supporter of Barack Obama. Pfleger, who is white, joked about Hillary Clinton being upset over Obama's strong showing, saying in a mock version of her voice: "I'm white. I'm entitled. There's a black man stealing my show."

Yep. That's right. Obama is stealing from Clinton what she has long coveted. The Democratic nomination for president. By winning it fair and square. But Clinton maintains she'd be the stronger candidate. Because she can corral more white votes. Especially from white blue collar workers. Many of whom say they won't vote for a black man. Just because he's black. Hillary Clinton likes to think that a white woman has an advantage over a black man when it comes to a presidential race. Maybe it's Clinton's way of saying we still have a racist society in America.

But I'm still betting on Obama and the goodness of most Americans. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not support Clinton, but that kind of garbage does NOT belong in ANY house of worship. That is not spiritual guidance, that is SNL fodder. That is where I would expect to see that trash.

Broede's Broodings said...

You do make a good point, dear anonymous. But still, I think there's room for humor from a church pulpit. Even biting, satirical humor. Sometimes, it's good to get a good laugh in church. That can be spiritually revitalizing. I really think that god has a sense of humor. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

There is always room for humor but in the right context. You are right god does have a sense of humor look at many of his products. *wink* Where its good humor or not.
First you say Hillary would commit murder, now Obama is a thief. Hmmmm I am seriously considering changing my vote. Further more dear jb no one would expect any different from you. You truly dislike any woman that is strong. Only the weak stand next to you. Even if Hillary was african american (btw they don't like to be called blacks, they are not black) you wouldn't like her do to the fact she is female.
Also like to add ..... where is our freedom of speech here on this blog .... oh wait someone said truthful things and you decided to limit what we may say!!!!